Katy Perry Fun Facts!
Singer Katy Perry wasn’t always the pop princess that we know her as today, in fact she started out her career as a gospel singer. Find out how she went from church choir cutie to the pop queen she is now.
Did You Know…
1. Katy Perry is actually a stage name, her full name is Katheryn Elizabeth Hudson.
2. Perry is actually her mother’s maiden name.
3. She was born October 25, 1984 in Santa Barbara, California.
4. She has an older sister, Angela, and younger brother, Dan.
5. Both of her parents are pastors.
6. She sang in her parents’ church from the age of 9 to 17, and grew up listening to gospel music – in fact her mother didn’t allow her to listen to anything else!
7. She has a contralto vocal range.
8. She cites Alanis Morrissette and the late Queen singer Freddy Mercury as influences on her music.
9. She released a gospel music album while she was in high school under the name Katy Hudson.
10. As a kid she was also a great dancer, quickly picking up classic dances like the Lindy Hop, Jitterbug and Swing – maybe that’s where her retro style began!
11. She studied Italian Opera singing for a short time.
12. She earned her GED early in high school so she could pursue her music dream.
13. She first caught the eye of producers from Nashville, Tennesee when she was just 15 years old singing in a church choir. They took her Nashville to help her with her writing skills and teach her guitar.
14. At 17 Katy left home for Los Angeles and started to work with Glen Ballard who had helped Alanis Morrissette with her songs. Listening to only gospel music growing up she had almost no reference for outside music and discovered Glen by turning on VH1 in her hotel room.
15. Despite having trouble getting her record made and staying at one label she managed to get her song “Long Shot” into the soundtrack for The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.
16. She has written songs for Selena Gomez, Ashley Tisdale and Kelly Clarkson.
17. Despite having label trouble Katy was named The Next Big Thing by Blender magazine in 2008 and realized soon after that she needed to get an album out fast! She set to work to do it herself.
18. Her first album One of the Boys featured the hit singles “I Kissed a Girl” and “Hot n Cold.”
19. In 2010 she appeared as a guest judge alongside Simon Cowell in The X Factor.
20. In 2010 she married British comedian Russell Brand in India in a traditional Hindu ceremony, they are now divorced.
21. In 2010 The Guinness World Book of Records recognized her as the “Best Start on the US Digital Chart by a Female Artist,” for having her first two singles sell over two million digital copies.
22. She was supposed to appear in the Russell Brand film Get Him to the Greek, but later had her scene cut.
23. In 2011 she became the first artist to spend 52 consecutive weeks in the Top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100.
24. Katy released a fragrance in November 2011 called Purr, which comes in a cat-shaped bottle.
25. In July 2011 Katy made her film debut as Smurfette in The Smurfs.